Welcome to the Laboratory of Mechanical Systems (LMS) of the Mechanical Engineering Department! LMS is pursuing basic & applied research as well as industrial-application projects in the following:
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Design of Products and Systems: Mechanical Design, Functional Design, Aesthetic Design, Product Life-Cycle Design, Concurrent Engineering, Reverse Engineering. Applications in: Automobile Industry, Mechanical Systems, Shipbuilding, Fashion Industry.
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD): Research, Design of Algorithms, and Software Development. Information Systems for Products and Processes. Hybrid CAD Systems combining Solids and Surfaces with Discrete Models. CAD based on Point Clouds. Product Lifecycle Management.
- Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE): Computational Methods for Analysis of Mechanical Structures. Automatic Finite-Element Model Construction, Integration of CAD and CAE systems.
- Solid Modeling: Models for Highly Complex Systems. Discrete Solid Models and Spatial Subdivisions. Computational Geometry. “Virtual Solid” Modeling of Design Constraints.
- Geometric Modeling of Curves and Surfaces: Bézier, B-spline, NURBS: Theory, Algorithms and Software. Interpolation/Approximation of Data with Curves and Surfaces. Aesthetic Design and Analysis of Surfaces. Automatic Fairing of Curves and Surfaces. Surface Modeling based on Point Clouds. Planar Development of Surfaces.
- Virtual Reality and Simulation of Mechanical Systems: CAD Models for Virtual Reality. Simulation of Design & Production Processes. Virtual Inspection, Maintenance, and Repair of Plants.
- Interactive Computer Graphics and Computer Vision: Graphical Models and Acceleration Techniques for Visualization. Interactive Techniques for Geometric Modeling. Range Image Processing. Reverse Engineering of CAD Models from Range Images.
- Industrial Informatics: Software Systems and Standards for Product Data Management. Integration, Optimization and Evaluation of CAD/CAE Systems. Web-based Product Data Modeling.
In the LMS web-site, you can find information on people, facilities, research activities, and publications. Feel free to reach us regarding new problems and research opportunities!
Laboratory of Mechanical Systems (Attn. Prof. N. Sapidis)
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Western Macedonia
Bakola & Sialvera Str.
50132 Kozani, Greece